Certification Exam – Preparation Classes
Preparation Classes (refreshers)
The Grand Rapids Section offers classes to prepare for the ASQ certification exams. Certification
Exam dates are as published at ASQ National and the preparation classes are held several times
a year, coinciding with these dates. ASQ Section 1001 proctored certification exams are held at Davenport Lettinga Campus on Kraft Ave.
To sign up for a scheduled class, please go the “Events” page and find the session of interest.
An expanded Education Matrix can be found on the Papers Archive Page under the Miscellaneous heading. You may
also contact the section Education Chair at email@example.com or the section Education
Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Some general information regarding these preparation classes...
- The course cost includes course text
- Course fees are due on or prior to the first night of class. Fees not received by the first night of class will be invoiced at $50.00 above published course fee.
- For participants who are interested in repeating the same refresher for a second time within 1 year, the fee is reduced to ˝ of the current fee and no new materials will be purchased. This only applies if the B.O.K. has not been updated
- A minimum class size may be invoked
- There is a 10% discount for sending 3 or more people to the classes scheduled during the same time frame (may be mixed / matched)
- The individual must independently register for the exam by the deadline dates through ASQ National at http://asq.org/certification/apply.html
- Recertification units are awarded based on course length
- ASQ Exam and Application Due Dates can be found at: http://asq.org/certification/index.html
Grand Rapids Section is currently offering the following listed Certification Preparation Classes. If you have interest in a session that is not listed or in having the session conduct a workshop for
your organization, please contact the ASQ Education Chair.
- Quality Technician and Quality Inspector: CQT & CQI
- Quality Auditor: CQA
- Quality Engineer: CQE
- Quality Improvement Associate: CQIA
- Six Sigma Green Belt: CSSGB
- Six Sigma Black Belt: CSSBB
- Quality Process Analyst: CQPA
- Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence :CQM-OE
- Software Quality Engineer: CSQE, under development – contact for information
- Reliability Engineer: CRE
- Calibration Technician: CCT
- Biomedical Auditor: CBA, under development – contact for information
- HACCP Auditor: CHA, under development – contact for information
- Pharmaceutical GMP Professional: CPGP, under development – contact for information
Course descriptions and instructor bios can be found on the Papers Archive Page under the Miscellaneous heading.
Begin your preparation for recertification right after you earn a certification or recertification
- Keep a cumulative total of where you are
- Keep your back up materials in one place
Earning Recertification Units (RU’s)
- Attend local section meetings to qualify easily and relatively inexpensively
- Remember that you earn 10.8 RU’s if you are employed for the three years
- That means you only need 7.2 additional RU’s
- Since we now offer tutorials (0.3 RU’s) along with every meeting (0.3 RU’s), you would only have to attend a maximum of 12 tutorials/meetings (4/yr.) to have enough RU’s to recertify
- No seminars/classes/etc. are required for this scenario!
- You also get a good meal, networking opportunities, and great information
Recertification packet contents
- Include adequate back-up (RU’s explicitly listed or an agenda with times for the sessions)
– Note: I do NOT need complete handouts, agendas will usually be enough.
- Count instructor credit only for training which is outside your usual job responsibilities
- Send in copies of your back-up, not originals - They are not returned
- Carefully add up the hours for sessions to calculate RU’s – I find most errors here!!!
- Include payment (check to ensure amount is correct)
- Provide all contact information, because I may need to contact you to clarify an issue or ask for additional documentation. (If by chance you don’t want it to go to HQ, write it on a separate sheet of paper – I only
send in the “Application sheet” and a check when applicable).
Submitting your recertification packet
Send in your recertification packet up to 6 months before or after your certification(s) expiration date – no sooner or later. Send to recertification chair:
email Larry at recertification chair
944 Peaceful Drive SE
Byron Center, MI 49315
Refer to the ASQ web site for information